Bogotá receives a million dollar donation for vulnerable populations

Vulnerable family from Bogotá According to DANE statistics, in Bogotá, 9 out of 10 women perform unpaid care and domestic work, spending more than 5 hours a day on these tasks.
Publicado:
19
Oct
2020
Escucha la noticia

These resources, donated by the Open Society Foundations, one of the world's largest philanthropic organizations supporting social change initiatives, will benefit the District System of Care and youth in the criminal liability system.

The Barco Foundation, within the framework of an understanding signed with the Mayor's Office of Bogotá, will be the organization in charge of providing technical and administrative support to the initiatives benefited with this donation.

The funds received will be allocated 85% for the District Care System, under the guidance of the Secretary for Women, and the remaining 15% for the Secretary of Education to support young people in the Penal System for Adolescents.

The donation seeks to positively impact the development of communities affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, such as women who work without remuneration at home and who have seen an increase in their daily work, but less possibilities for personal development.

According to DANE statistics, in Bogotá, 9 out of 10 women perform unpaid care and domestic work, spending more than 5 hours a day on these tasks. Likewise, the donated resources will complement the training of young people in the criminal responsibility system for adolescents not deprived of their liberty, providing them with support to access virtual training and encourage their process of joining the labor and social world.

Open Society Foundations is the world's largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance and human rights through grants awarded to a wide range of projects.

To read this note in spanish, click here